Asana: The How and Why
A weekend intensive on why we practice asana and how to safely/effectively do so for life.
During this three day intensive into Hatha yoga, we will (attempt) to cover in great detail the:
- traditional Ashtanga sequence of primary series, as well as Vinyasa variations
- a beginners look at the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
- Asana laboratory (a chance for students to request asana breakdown)
- Functional movement in every day life- How do you live your life off the mat, both physically and mentally?
Thank you to our September 2019 participants—we loved hosting you.
Don't miss our next workshop—SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER to be the first to hear about upcoming events.
Meet Jennifer Smith
After getting my degree at Vanderbilt, I went back to school to get my MBA. However, within a very short time, I realized I wanted to pursue my passion for studying Hatha yoga. I was first exposed to yoga in 1996, and by 1998 had started studying seriously. I am convinced it is my dharma to share this amazing practice with as many students as possible.
My main goals in my teaching are to help students of ALL levels access asanas safely and effectively so that they can thrive on and off the mat. Get ready to sweat, work hard, learn a lot and laugh a lot!
SEPTEMBER 27-29, 2019 SCHEDULE
FRIDAY | 5:00P - 7:30P
5:00P - 6:15P: welcome and led practice
6:30P - 7:30P: sutras discussion and the “why” of practice
SATURDAY | 9:00AM - 5:00PM
9:00A - 11:30A:
- Breath and Bandhas: the keys to a healthy and effective practice
- Discussion of bandhas
- The ROOTS: Traditional Ashtanga Surya Namaskar A/B and Vinyasa variations
- Traditional Ashtanga standing asana and Vinyasa standing asana with kramas
- Continued discussion of Sutras
11:30A - 1:00P: Break (eat lightly)
1:00P - 4:00P:
- Continued standing asana
- Seated asana: Traditional Ashtanga
- Core work: how to access the center line
- Transitions (jump through and jump back) with kramas
- Questions/continued sutras discussion
SUNDAY | 10:00A - 3:30P
10:00A - 1:00P:
- Core work leading to arm balances
- Back bends
- Inversions — all taught in stages/kramas
- Asana Laboratory
- Requests taken: students submit written asana questions to me on Friday night or Saturday morning. Also happy to try to answer more esoteric questions as well
2:00P - 3:30P:
- Mental and physical functionality off of the mat: how to survive and thrive
- Learn how your patterns, both mental and physical affect your everyday life and how to change that for the better. We will continue to draw on the sutras in this “off the mat” section, as well as examine functional body movement.
EARLY BIRD PRICING
FULL WEEKEND: $200
FRIDAY PRIMARY SERIES ONLY: $35
Early Bird Pricing apply to tickets purchased made before August 1, 2019
FULL WEEKEND: $225
General Admission rates apply to tickets purchased on or after August 1, 2019